Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Nap Time. PLEASE!

I used to hate naps. In fact, I would loathe them. Not just as a little kid but as an adult too. I would take a nap and it would just make me sleepier, have a headache and cranky.

Well, that has changed.

I really enjoyed Christmas with my family. It was great to see all my cousins along with Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sister-in-laws, nieces and nephews. Oh, and my parents of course! The food was tasty, the games were fun, and company was enjoyable. But what was great, to be honest, was the two awesome naps I got to take. I thought I should stay awake and mingle as much as possible. On Christmas everyone went to my Aunt and Uncles house for the afternoon before dinner but I decided to stay behind and take a nap. I slept for almost three hours before I was summoned for dinner. (Later I was told my Aunt said to let me sleep because I am pregnant, how sweet!) But, I felt I was being anti-social.

The next day was Sunday, my Dad's birthday, I hit a point and I said out loud "I am trying to fight sleep." My sister-in-law, bless her heart, said "why fight it? If you need to sleep, go sleep." She's gone through four pregnancies so I thought to myself, "she probably knows what she is talking about!" Off to my parents' amazing comfortable bed I went and fell asleep almost instantly for another nice long 2 hour nap. (Despite the silly interruptions by my other brother and his wife tickling my feet.)

But I realized something over the weekend that I do hit a point where I get cranky and lethargic. Have an inability to concentrate or care about what needs to be done or what I am doing. And it's getting worse. There was a time I could go for hours and do physical things on only 4 hours of sleep. Nap time was nice at the beginning but now it is becoming a necessity! It makes me wonder what to do about my odd work hours or when I have a 12 hour school day. Sleep in class or on my lunch break perhaps? We will see. But I do know what sleep I do get will definitely be cherished and welcomed.

1 comment:

  1. I used to go down at lunch time, get in my car, set my phone alarm, and snooze for an hour during the work hours. There is no fighting sleep when you are pregnant - the "tired" that I felt was so strong there was no way possible to ignore it. This too will pass...pretty soon you'll have tons of energy and enter the NESTING phase!

    ReplyDelete