Saturday, June 4, 2011

Breastfeeding: The Result.

So, I knew I would have to eventually post a blog about the outcome of my experience breastfeeding. I did make a huge deal about it.

After attending a breastfeeding class and hearing about the oxytocin and how it will help me loose weight and also help with postpartum depression I was more convinced and intrigued. Basically, I officially on board.

Naomi was born with a tight frenulum or also known as being tongue tied. Basically there was some cartalidge keeping her tongue from being able to come out and would cause issues latching on. They did say that they can clip it to fix the issue but would have to go to someone who does it. Apparently most pediatricians and hospitals don't do it anymore. For the time being however I still needed to figure out a way to feed her. So they gave me a nipple guard. That thing was horrible! I hated to use it. It took me forever to place it on and even then she still had issues.

She kept dropping weight however, which meant she wasn't getting enough. I wasn't quite producing milk. I think it was a rough start and it made me nervous for her. But with some excellent guidance from the lactation nurse we were able to cup feed her formula while still working with her on the breastfeeding.

On Wednesday we made an appointment to get her tongue looked at. The surgeon guy rated it a 3 out of 4. Right there in the office they snipped it! Simple procedure. But, the dr said that basically it might not change anything or still take a while to work. Same with all the others warned me. We met with the lactation nurse again she did gain a little. She was down to 6lbs and 110z. I so hoped clipping her tongue fixed the feeding and get her back to weight.

Luckily my milk finally came in. Later on Wednesday I went to try and feed her still with the nipple guard like they suggested but it was only frustrating and finally I tossed it to the side and put her right up to me and she immediately latched on! It worked! SUCCESS!

I absolutely fell in love with breastfeeding. I was so worried about making sure she was being fed that any other fears about it just flew out the window. And now, I actually look forward to feeding her. She is so sweet and special. It is amazing to just snuggle up with her. I love my little girl to pieces and any chance to be that close I will gladly accept it.

2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how happy this post makes me Ali...so freaking happy for you!

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for both of you, Alicia! The physical and emotional benefits for your baby are at least as great as the benefits for you! So pleased you are discovering them.

    ReplyDelete