Friday, January 11, 2013

Relationship Lengths: The Logic of Three

This post stems from a fun conversation I had the other night and my logical, or illogical, break down of the amount of time of stages in a relationship. I call it Logic of Three.

Three Day Stage. It takes three days of solid communication to get to know someone to make you realize that you want to see or talk to them frequently. It can start with a first date but sometimes it ends with the first date. With our abilities to communicate in so many ways it is either via texting or long telephone conversations. As time progresses and dates more frequent during this three week period it then leads to the next stage, Three Week Stage.

Three Week Stage. After three weeks you pretty much know if you are heading into the next stage or that it is time to just remain friends. This is what the new kids are calling "Determine the Relationship" or a DTR discussion. This is what makes the next stage happen. If you determine that you actually want to be serious it usually happens after three weeks of solid communication and dating. This DTR discussion can take one night to up to a week to establish. If it is a nae, then that sucks but usually the friendship has been saved. If it is a yea, then onto the next, Three Month Stage.

Three Month Stage. This starts after the DTR is established. During the three month stage a lot of the making an impression attitude wears off and real life seeps in a little bit more. At the end of three months it is usually the point where you know if the relationship is doomed or has a potential. Sometimes you hold on a month or two longer to see if you are just scared or really feeling the end. But if the relationship does end you pretty much can pin point it to the three month mark that things started to change or manifest itself to doom-hood. Sometime you can remain friends but usually at this point if there is a break-up the friendship is over too.

Now, there are exceptions to the rule. Also, it doesn't have to be consecutive but it makes it that much more successful if it is. There is part of the logic that comes at three years too. But, that is more in depth and complicated and I can't reveal all in case I decide to write a book about this. But, that was a brief description about my Logic of Three in a relationship. 

You have to admit it is pretty accurate and logical. I have had, and have witnessed, many relationships to come to this logical conclusion. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I'm a new kid!! I've used DTR for over a decade, so I appreciate that title!! I dont have much experience of this being true for me, but I think you are right for most people. I'm not most people though.

    ReplyDelete